Criss Angel Gets Hospitalized After Stunt Went Wrong

Criss Angel was rushed to a hospital after losing consciousness during his Las Vegas show, Mindfreak Live! last week.

According to several witnesses, Angel was hanging upside down from his feet. He was making an attempt to get out of a double straitjacket when the incident happened on Friday. Though the stunt is something he has pulled off numerous times in the past.

Straightaway, the spectators realized something had gone wrong when the magician’s body started swinging as he struggled to free himself. After a few moments, he passed out in midair.

Eventually, the unconscious Las Vegas performer was brought down and rushed to Spring Valley Hospital Medical Center. The Friday night show at the Luxor Hotel was ultimately cancelled, according to the Las Vegas Review-Journal.

A number of people in the Las Vegas audience described the event. They said there was a short break before they were told the show was called off and that they would be refunded.

A rep for the illusionist confirmed that he was taken to a hospital. But he was discharged several hours later.

“He is undergoing additional testing today and while it is not yet certain, it is his hope to return to the stage,” the rep said on Saturday. “He is grateful for the outpouring of love and concern from his fans around the world.”

On Monday, Angel opened up in a new interview. He talked about the unsuccessful aerial feat that sent him to the hospital only a few days earlier.


“This is real,” the 49 year-old magician lashed at critics’ statements that the failed act was just a publicity stunt.

Angel continued, “I blur the line between reality and illusion, but this demonstration and the risks that are at stake are no joke. What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger, and for me it’s always about pushing my envelope.”

“Once I started going up, I was told that I began my escape, and that’s all I remembered until I woke up and I was literally surrounded by paramedics and people putting things in my arms,” he said, recalling the mishap.

The American performer also revealed that doctors recommended he remain in the hospital for observation and to submit to an MRI scan. However, he signed a discharge form renouncing liability so that he could go back to work.

Angel revealed, “I actually left the hospital early because I was so angry because I wanted to get back to doing my show and thrill the audience with a show and a spectacle that the world of magic has never seen before.”

Only one day after the spoiled show, he took the stage yet again to give the notorious stunt another shot. Fortunately, he was able to successfully escape the straitjacket. Indeed, the show went on over the weekend.

“There’s a lot of things I do to thrill audiences, and I really do things that have never been done in the history of the art,” Angel said. “So with that comes life and death risks.”

The famed illusionist also said it was the first time he lost consciousness. He explained further, “I felt like [my unconsciousness] was really attributed to not eating properly. I’ve only been sleeping about two hours a night the past few days and I don’t think I was hydrated.”


Leave a Reply